Thursday, September 3, 2015

My Unwanted Visitor – An Armadillo

Nine-Banded Armadillo



This little critter is a nine-banded armadillo. They are common in the southern parts of the US and can be a real pest. This little guy is nosing around our barn one evening looking for his evening meal of insects. 

Armadillos are mainly insectivores and eat larvae, ants, worms, beetles, grasshoppers, crickets and just about any other insect they can find on the ground. They love to hang around our barn at night as we have a light on the barn that comes on every evening and it attracts all kinds of insects. 

Armadillos have very strong claws and will dig with their holes in the ground and root around with their nose to find any underground insects. This can leave holes all over your yard. They will tear up your grass and dig up the flowers in your flower beds looking for a meal.

Armadillos also dig large underground burrows as their shelter. There have been several times that when I am mowing our field that I have had to mow around one these large holes in the ground to keep one of my lawnmower tires from falling off into a burrow. 

Luckily, this guy seemed to just hang around the barn and wasn’t bothering my yard or my flower beds, so I left him to his evening foraging.

You may also enjoy:

No comments:

Post a Comment